When it comes to gaming, you probably have to go through tons of games before finally finding your favourite. There was a time when one gaming CD or cassette included maybe a dozen varieties for you to choose from without getting bored. Today, however, the plethora of games under various genres and sub-genres, has pretty much resulted in unlimited options. For recreational gamers, this is a new form of dilemma because instead of making it easier to select a game to play, it has made the decision more difficult than ever.
The internet and mobile app store are flooded with new types of games every day, but it is only a choice that few make it to the top. So, how do you decide which game is right for you based on your interests? Here’s how to ensure you’re not missing out on a game of interest, while being swallowed by the list of chart-topping suggestions.
What’s your type?
Let’s take a step back and think about how we choose anything for that matter. From your favourite TV series to finding new music, the genre plays a considerable role in filtering out unimportant or uninteresting content. The genre list, when it comes to gaming includes strategy games, skill-based games, action-adventure, survival games, racing and first-person-shooter as some of the categories to choose from. While it’s rare to find someone who is only interested in one genre, this simplifies the process as you only have to browse through one particular category – the one of interest to you.
Now that we have established the importance of genres, let’s move this discussion to online games. So, here’s a list of popular online gaming genres, along with relevant games that you can try your hand at.
- Online Multiplayer Battle Royal – One of the most popular genres in online gaming, the gameplay and storyline of such games are designed around a ‘last (wo)man standing’ concept. High on background music and sound effects, these adrenaline-pumping games involve multiple players who join the game to compete with and fight against each other in a test of survival, exploration, and scavenging skills.Popular Battle Royal games – PubG and Fortnite.
- First-Person Shooter – In these shooting games a player has access to the game through the eyes of the lead protagonist. This means that the view of the world within the game is that of the main character. The aim of FPS games is to go through a series of environments and complete tasks, while shooting at different kinds of enemies and obstacles, until reaching the final goal.Popular FPS Games – Halo, Call of Duty, and Battlefield.
- Role-playing games – The central premise of games in this genre is that a storyline is set in a fantasy or Sci-fi environment, in which a player has to build his or her character. During the course of the game, a player can upgrade the personal abilities and skill set of their character, which will ultimately shape the way the game progresses.Popular RPG games – Might and Magic, Final Fantasy, and Fallout.
- Skill games – With the digitisation of games like chess and rummy, you don’t have to wait for other players to physically join you for a game. For instance, the game of rummy is a popular option for many card game enthusiasts is all that is required to connect with thousands of expert online players. Additionally, there are also numerous websites where players can indulge in skill games such as these. Popular skill games – Rummy, Backgammon, and Chess.
- Open-world Shooter – These are action-adventure games that give the player free reign over a large environment that could be anything from a fantasy world with dragons and unicorns to a virtual city inspired by real-world metropolitans. The player’s exploration in the game’s universe is guided by narrative missions, quests, and tasks. These add to the player’s experience and leads to moving onto the next level.Popular Open-World Shooter games – Grand Theft Auto, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry.
- Strategy – There are two types of Strategy games – turn-based and real-time. Though specifications differ between the two, the main idea is to develop and implement a particular plan, based not on an individual’s character, but a corporation, an army, a country or even an entire civilisation as a whole.Popular strategy games – Sid Meier’s Civilisation, StarCraft, and Emperor: Battle for Dune.
Now that you have an idea about some of the popular games genres that are making rounds in the gaming industry, all that remains for you is to explore them and figure out which genre calls out to you the most. Once you have identified a favourite genre, you can start by playing the more popular games for a great gaming experience.