With the arrival of new flagship devices like Google Pixel, Galaxy S8, the on-screen navigation buttons just got more popular. They look incredible in the above-said devices. So if you are planning to customize your navigation buttons, this guide may help you. In this guide, we are discussing how to set custom navigation buttons on any Android smartphone without root access.
At the same time, it is very easy to tweak this type of settings on a rooted device. But it is not that easier for devices with no root access. However, this guide will discuss the topic: “How to set custom navigation buttons.” With this simple guide, you can set custom navigation buttons on your Android smartphone. For that, just follow the steps below:
- Download this app: Custom navigation bar.
- Launch the app, and tap on “Get Started”. It will take you to a screen with instructions on how to give the app permissions to change the navigation bar icons on your phone. You need ADB for this, for that connect your phone to your PC, and allow USB Debugging on the phone.
- Now open a command prompt on your Windows PC by searching CMD in the search bar. Then type the following commands:
pm grant xyz.paphonb.systemuituner android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
- After typing the above commands just hit enter on your keyboard. If the actions were correct, the app interface on your phone will turn green. It means the initial step is successful. If you see that, then tap on the right arrow. Then the app will show you a compatibility test screen. Tap start on that screen.
Now you have successfully set up the app for changing your navigation bar icons. This is just an initial step in the article “How to set custom navigation buttons.” You need to follow below steps to achieve your goal.
You’ll have to download the image files for the icons, that you can find readily available on the internet. Once you have that, just follow the steps below:
- Launch the app and tap on “Navigation Bar“. Here, tap on “Experimental Tweaks“.
- Under “Back“, tap on “Type“, and select “Keycode“.
- Then, under “Back“, tap on “Keycode“, and select “Back“.
- Then, tap on “Icon“, scroll down and tap on “Browse File…“.
- Select the downloaded image for the back key, and tap on “Ok“.
- Repeat the process for each of the Navigation Bar keys, and select the appropriate images. The keycode for the “Home” key is “Home”, and for the “Recent Apps” key is “App Switch”.
You are done! Now you have successfully set a custom navigation buttons on your Android smartphone. By following the above steps, you could change your navigation buttons to any style. The custom navigation bar app has some built-in navigation bars available. But they all are paid ones. So it is better to download navigation bar pictures from the internet and add it to your device using this app. Try this and let us know your doubts and thoughts.